.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Saturday, August 01, 2020

Bit by bit

This is a do over of a reno I first tackled almost 11 yrs ago. I've acquired quite a bit more skill since then. This project was initially started shortly after our kitchen and bath projects when we noticed the laundry floor drain was no longer holding the water in the trap.   We noticed that slight stank of sewer gas and that initiated the effort to replace the original clay trap with an ABS one.

I almost wish we could have replaced ALL the clay pipes under our basement with ABS.  But that would involve opening up the floor in the basement rec room.  It wouldn't be that hard to do.  As it would be straight sections of 4 inch pipe.  But the work to access those pipes to replace would be more work, a lot, but yeah...more work for me.  Doable, tho, yes.

But i'll leave that for another life.  For now I'm just working to replace what I put in 3 yrs ago with an enhanced version with a tee for the laundry tub and washer box and another tee for both the new toilet that replaces and relocates 
the existing, and the shower that replaced the old one that we took out 3 yrs back.

Bit by bit we've been saving up and making purchases towards this project.  And what was originally a rejig of what was already there, became an effort to make what we had before better.  And by better to us that means, cleaner and simpler lines and a layout that makes more sense and improves the flow and functionality of the laundry / 2nd bath space.

What we did:
  • I replaced all the pot lights with LED downlights that enabled me to place lights where I could not put a light before.   
  • I grouped all the switches to a single location.
  • I put the dryer vent duct into the wall so that we could push the dryer closer to the back wall.  I recovered a few inches with this effort.  Not much for the amount of work I did.  But not seeing the duct made the cuts i got on my hands and knuckles worth the pain.
  • I relocated the vent so that I could shrink the bulkhead where the gas pipe is also in, so that anyone using the toilet wouldn't bonk their head when they stood up from doing a deuce.
  • I replaced the old washer box because I got the one with the proper colour coded valves for the hot and cold shutoffs.
  • I removed the old door frame and installed a pocket door.  I always wanted to put one in the house somewhere.  Didn't know where.  But i just think pocket doors are so neat.    I also disliked how the old door would knock into the laundry hampers.
  • I ran 2 new circuits to the panel to support a new outlet across from the shower/WC and also the in-floor heating that I'm going to install soon.
  • I fixed up the window area so that it no longer had any trim.  It looks cleaner this way and we plan to do a similar implementation in the kitchen window.
  • I then tied into the existing vent pipe so that I could connect the vents for the toilet, shower and laundry tub drains and have them vented properly.
I did all of this before spring brought the warmer weather.  That's when I planned to dig up the existing floor drain and work on the new drains required to service the shower, toilet and laundry tub/washer.   Eight months prior August 2019, I had borrowed a jackhammer to remove all the tiles and bust up the floor.  I laid plywood boards over the opening.  We hadn't even bought the new wall hung toilet or selected a shower base.  But I knew by doing this would force someone to get into gear.  That time stops for no person.  except for me.   I'm stuck in 2002 when we got this place.

So spring has arrived and I had finally gotten to the part of the reno that was the most daunting for me.  The drains.  How was I going to get all that black piping to fit under the floor.  How much floor do i need to break up.  I didn't know.  Not knowing was the worst part for me. I dislike guessing.  VERY MUCH.  Because it could mean, rework.  And the re-work effort is always more work.

I couldn't open the entire floor up.  I had to minimize it to only what i needed.  I guessed as to how much i needed opened.  Good thing it was a pretty close guess.  I didn't need to do much more.  But what I did need to do took me several more hours by hand to do.  And it was hard and dusty.  But it got done.

I wanted to hide as much piping as possible and come out from the wall to make the floor easy to clean.  So all the drains and vents run to the walls and run inside the walls.  Sounded easy, but it never works that way, something always makes it a challenge to achieve.  But somehow i figure out a way to make it work.  it's both a gift and a curse.

For just over 2 weeks I had this mound of sand piled high in the basement.  A few times I nearly fell into the trench I'd dug.  I thought I would be done installing the drains in 2 days.  Nope, not even close.  It took me 2.5 weekends to get everything done and glued.   I took my time.  It wasn't hard, but I had only so much material and I didn't want to redo things because I goofed.  Especially nowadays with the COVID-19 stuff going on.  But HD was open again so and I didn't have to order online and wait 2-14 days for my stuff to be ready for curbside pick up.

It was now May 25 and I arrived at a major milestone. To me the most challenging part was complete - the drains were in.  I had done something like this a few years back but nothing to this extent.  And it felt like a big weight had been lifted.   I was so happy.  The whole reason I was digging up the floor was for relocating the toilet.  Since i was doing that, I might as well improve everything else that could be made better.  So I did.  After 10 months of working on everything else I finally can get to the reasons for why this reno was intiated - the shower and the install of a wall-hung toilet in a new spot.  It felt great!

It's now Aug 1st.  And the hole in the floor is now cemented over after 11 months!  Kieran was a big help here.  It took us about 4hrs to do this work.  Mixing the concrete and pouring it into place and skimming the surface.  It's not completely smooth but that's okay.  There will be another layer of cement going over this and then floor leveller before the tile is laid on top.

The new copper lines are done, checked and double checked for leaks and flushed.  The OLI in-wall cistern is in, I even flushed it once just to show Tresa how it worked.   I am waiting to till all the walls are painted before I attach the toilet basin and disconnect the old one FOREVER! 

The sink is back in after nearly 2 months of sitting on its side, by the dryer. It's good to have it back.  It's nice to have all the drains done.  The room is small and it's starting to come together.


The shower base is in and walls are up.  I'm debating on whether to apply a waterproofing coating or not.  I'm not really sure it's necessary, but it's more insurance than anything.

So now all the walls and ceiling are covered in drywall.  Taped and mudded with an initial coat of mud.  All that's left is to mud, sand, mud and then final sanding, before priming and painting.  

The in-floor heating I'll connect once that's all done so I can verify it's working.  It's been a lot of work to get to this point.  Other than the old toilet needing to be removed and capped, it's the finishing work that is remaining. 

I knew coming into this project it was going to be a lot of work, but now that we're here now - it has been a lot of work for a small room.  A lot for after work and weekends DIY. And it's feeling pretty good.  Almost a relief.  The light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter.  Bit by bit.