.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Tuesday, September 01, 2020

No dome in da home

Dome
Do you remember these dome lights?  I remember them in my parent's house.  It was the upgrade to the the round ball light that builders in the 70's would put everywhere. It's like no more 60's ball light.  Here's the flashy dome. With the gold trim.  Here's my question....Why does it look like a boob?

This is the very last dome light in our home.  I just ejected it from our basement pantry.  I finally found lights that Tresa liked and approved.  The 2nd last one was in Kieran's bedroom.  I hated these things.  I got rid of the one in the office years ago with a chandelier we got from Tresa's godmother.  I love it.  It's Austrian, just like her godmother.  And it really lights up the room.  As i put in 5 daylight white LED bulbs.

16"
Here's the criteria.

1. must be white light.  No yellowish warm light for this White Walker! Also the white light helps us to see as we get older our eyesight diminishes.  It sucks getting old.

2. must be sleek and clean looking.

3. must be thin.  So that we don't knock into it with something.  It also gives the illusion that the ceiling is higher.


Wayfair
I tried Wayfair. And I actually found one.  We have it in our side entrance.  I got it for $50.  It seemed like a good deal.  Compared to what I had seen at HD, Rona, CT, Lowe's... And I had ordered a faucet for our laundry so i got free shipping.  It arrived in about 2 weeks.  But it was like i bought it off eBay and it came from China.  Like it looked very no-frills no-CSA testing/approval eBay stuff.  The item was loosely packed, unlike the ones you would get from HomeDepot or Rona or Lowes or even CanTire, with foam, etc.  This was a white box, no labelling, and inside was a clear plastic bag and the light and bracket.  It didn't even have marrettes for connecting the leads.  It's basically Bargain Junction stuff.  I give it 2 years before i have to replace it.

Wayfair
I installed it and it worked even though the LED driver part was not even assembled.  And pieces were just in 1 bag in a white box.  But I installed it and it looked great!  Better than the lightbulb socket thing i had there before.  We still have 1 more of those.  And it's in our Master.

So the new one in Kieran's room was our old FLOS light.  It's like a flying saucer.  Perfect for a kid enamoured with Transformers.  Well it's sci-fi looking.  I'm glad we kept it.  It was in our basement hallway for the last year.  And i've been accidentally knocking into it with building materials for the last year.  But it's all cleaned up, has a new LED lightbulb instead of the 200W burn the hydro filament bulb.

Home Depot

And in it's place i had put up the lightbulb socket that's been moving from place to place.  No sense in getting something that you don't really like.  But why not put something that just screams cheap ass.  It's like parts of our house are movie sets for a run down half-way house.  

In any case.  I thought i might as well give the electrical distributor place that I frequent a call and see what they stock.  I needed something to replace the large FLOS light that we had downstairs with something substantial.  When we got the Wayfair light we felt right away that 8" was borderline size.  If it was larger.  It'd look better.  But it's not like it's too small.  I think we just are wondering if a larger dia light would look that much better.  It's certainly better than what was there before!

FLOS

So they did have something in 16".  I wasn't sure if it'll be big enough as the FLOS was 24" over all.  But the light section was not the full dia.  I got it and if it was too small, I'd put this in the side entrance and move the one their into the pantry.  First thing I noticed was the quality was so much better!  It didn't have that flea market feel at all.  I put it up right away and it's perfect for the hallway in the basement.  It's 7ft ceilings so it's form factor is right on.  And it's nice and bright for our old eyes.
12"

I then got 12" version for the pantry.  Man is the build quality that much better.  And it was nearly 1/2 the price of the Wayfair on sale mega-deal flea market light.

It just goes to show.  These commercials sucker you in to think you are getting something awesome.  Online hides a lot of crappy item with smoke and mirrors marketing.  You don't know what crap you are getting until it shows up at your front door from a white cube van.   Go and find better stuff locally.  Tresa never was a fan of online shopping.  She's right.  It's not all that!

No more domes in this home!

Blogger Ray said...

Sure enough that Wayfair light, i replaced last week Jan 4/2023. Basically 2yrs + 4months. And I said in my post 2yrs ago that i'd be replacing this Wayfair light in 2 yrs. I got a larger dia light of much higher quality from a local manufacturer. I'm able to switch from Warm to Cool white and it costs less.

Looks nice online. Quality in real life, is not so good.

Fri Jan 13, 04:56:00 PM EST

 

Post a Comment