.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Sunday, April 03, 2005

Hey who's TRUCK is that parked in your spot, Ray!

Surprise, surprise, surprise. It's daylight savings.

Happy Birthday

Phew that was a close one. My sister and sister-in-law had planned a baby shower/birthday surprise for Tresa. I was supposed to get Tresa out of the house by 11:30AM this morning. I was paged in church this morning at about 9:45am. It's okay I had it on silent/vibrating. Just after communion too.



My sister told me that she would be there with Ray and the kids by 11:30AM. But everyone else would be a little late. Figures man. Daylight savings and filipinos just don't work. There's lots of time conflicts. She said that we can just show up and yell surprise when we come in if Tresa doesn't want to go out. I said, I'll get her out. Don't worry. I didn't think it would be the same if it wasn't a total shocker.

So after church we drove to Loblaws to get some coffee beans, figuring that people might want some coffee later. We were running a little low. As we headed home I asked her if she was hungry and if she wanted to have brunch over at High Park's Grenadier cafe. Tresa said "Nah...", I said I wanted to take a picture of the park with the snow. Yes it's April and it's still snowing, not a nice light beautiful snowfall. But big wet chunks of snow and rain to boot. When a flake hit your face it was like a big wet face towel.

Chocolate eggs with edible foil?

So I get home and I shower right away. As I looked at the clock, it's after 11:00AM. I'm trying to get Tresa out of the house and got her to take a shower, before we head out to kill some time before everyone arrives. So it's 11:30AM now and she's still in the shower, I then get phone call from her sister regarding the P&G sale. So more delays.

And I look out my window and I see my sister's pathfinder backing into the driveway. Uh oh...this may ruin the whole surprise. Then the side door begins to open, my sister asks "Is Tresa still here?" I said "YA!" and closed the door on her. Tresa was just getting out of the shower and coming up the stairs! So I handed her the phone so she could talk to her sister.

I will call him Mini-Me.

So I finally got her out of the house and I headed out of the house first and was wondering where the truck was, and I saw them at the end of the street. So Tresa and I got out of the house and headed to Home Depot and Canadian Tire, to get a hammer that I saw on sale in the flyer. Man...what an ordeal.

The day before I had gotten the cake from Loblaws, it was a cream filled cake with strawberries on top. But Tresa said "Let's just get the half cake, what are we going to do with a whole cake?" I said "ah let's get the full one, we'll give it away or something." I even got some bags of chips. I got Sun-chips for Lou. And there was a whole bunch of chocolate eggs for a buck at Wal-mart. I'm surprised that Tresa didn't catch on. Must be the pregnancy.

should I eat the foil too?

So we walked around Home Depot. I wasn't really sure how much to time to kill, but we were in Home Depot for a while looking at patio heaters and solar garden lights. Then we headed to Canadian Tire for the real reason we went out. To buy a hammer. Hey it was 4.99 Reg. 15.99. I needed a heavier hammer. The one we have right now is way too light. Okay. So back to the surprise. Canadian Tire is like one of my favourite stores. Next to Wal-mart and Sport Chek.

So I call Lou to find out where he is. And Lucy answers saying they are just out front. I said we're at Canadian Tire. I'm doing all this walking around the isles looking for stuff. Then she asked "Who's going to let us in?" I said my sister was already inside and that we'd be heading home soon.

Yum, post-it glue tastes good

Then I get a call a few minutes later from my brother asking me if I had any peanut sauce. I asked Tresa if we had any peanut sauce. She wasn't sure. See still no clue. As long as I remained calm and not fidgity. I knew I was not giving anything away.

So anyways we head home. There's a BIG white Suburban in my parking spot in front of our house. Tresa was looking at it and pointing her finger at it and saying "WHO's CAR is that? It's huge!" So I park at the back behind the house. Trying hard not to look in the windows. There's an Old Navy bag in the back. I notice it, but I try not to give it too much attention. Tresa automatically notices it and finds bottles of pop in it. I shrugged my shoulders and I said I didn't know what it was or where it came from.

Man, I think he ate the paper too! Heavy!

I was about to take the keys from Tresa and unlock the door as she reached out to hand them to me but instead I held the storm door open and said for her to unlock the door.

flash!
The door opens....
Flash, flash, flash....SURPRISE!
It was like the paparazzi.

Happy Birthday!
From everyone.