.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Monday, February 21, 2005

The Gift...card.

Sometimes it just pays to complain. But I think the trick is to complain nicely. My mom was the best at, not really, complaining about the price of things. But she would do it in such a way that people kinda felt sorry for her. So they'd lower their price or give her something for free.

I remember her bringing home 4 or 5 truck tire inner tubes from Goodyear. The guy just gave them to her, or sold it for next to nothing. Thing is. I wish my mom hadn't had them inflated when she put them into the car. We had to jam them in.

The reason I'm talking about complaining is that I had lined up for a door crasher at Future Shop. Out in Whitby. I saw in the flyer when I was at my in-laws that the Canon G5 was on sale for 499.00 BUT limit of 8 per store! Figuring that the people in the Durham region wouldn't be as nutz as the Torontonians about their electronics. And on top of that there was a lower concentration of Asians in the area, so I thought I'd take the opportunity and line up at 6:00am for the 7:00am opening on boxing day. For you americans reading this - that's Dec 26. There's a whole story behind the meaning of boxing day. But most Canadians think of it as the biggest sale day of the year. Sort of like the US Thanksgiving sales.

Anyways. I lined up. I was right. I think I was the only Asian in line. Didn't see too many tricked out hondas or integras in the parking lot. Plus I was about 50-80ft from the front door. And when the people with the lawn chairs put their stuff away I got even closer.

I was in the store in the first wave of shoppers. Awesome! Headed straight to the camera section and some guy had asked for the G5. Okay I thought, line up behind this dude for the item. We were told the cameras were on a truck and hadn't arrived. So they were taking names and people were getting cards guaranteeing them the camera and they would be contacted as soon as they came in. So I was second on the list to request the G5. Hoooray! Or so I thought.

To make a long story short. I didn't receive the camera until two weeks and many phone calls LATER and many emails to Future Shop regarding the status. Just remember that whomever you speak to. Write their names down. What happened was every person I spoke to gave me a different story. The camera is on a truck, there are no cameras - the flyer was a mistake. We called everyone on the list. No one called anyone, how do you know I asked. Cuz I'm the one calling. I called every day for 2 weeks...well almost. And got the names of every single person I spoke to. Then I called on the 14th day. It was a Monday. They told me that they had received shipment of 5 of the 8 cameras on Saturday evening. NO ONE CALLED ME! They told me to come that evening otherwise they may not be able to hold it. WHAT!

So I spoke to the manager that evening. Looked at his name tag. Remembered his name. Told him the whole story. He said, well you have your camera now, enjoy it. That was it. Not even an apology for inconveniencing me.

I wrote another email to Future Shop head office. Not totally complaining. But indicating that the boxing day sale was very orderly and over all really well handled. Then citing every person that I spoke to and indicating that everyone gave me a different story. Even when it came down to the extended warranty. I had said that I didn't buy the warranty because I didn't know who to believe. What was true or not. (I wasn't going to buy it anyways, but I just wanted to hear what they'd say) Here's what one person said. The extended warranty wouldn't apply because it was a door crasher and it was really cheap. Another person said, no that's not true.

I indicated in the email, that what was consistent, was the inconsistent stories. Everyone told me something different. I told the head office that they have to straighten this store out. And get their act together and get their stories together so they can lie together.

I didn't even get a formal apology for the runaround until way late in the back and forth email correspondence.

Soon after the Operations Manager of the store called me, asking what she can do to make it up to me. I asked for some things. Got rejected. Then she offered a gift card. I said sure. So I got a gift card about 4 weeks later. That's because the first one never arrived. I waited 2 weeks and nothing so I contacted her. Well at first she was in a meeting and I left a message with my work number to return my call. Never returned my call. So I called her back. Apologized for bothering her, and told her I never got it. She said she would send it again. This time she put more money on it. I thought...I should go buy a lottery ticket.

So I recently got the card. Haven't used it yet. But I also wrote a letter thanking her and will mail it off today.

I think if you complain. Complain nice and constructively. I gave them positive feedback, but I pointed out what they could do better. Like calling their customers back. And write them a thank you letter. People are more apt to bend over backwards when you complain this way rather than foaming at the mouth and firing off threats or foul language.

It's sort of the difference between a Mercedes and a Hyundai.
You can either do it smart and classy or tasteless and tacky.

Your choice.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

how much did you get on your gift card?

CR

Wed Feb 23, 02:52:00 PM EST

 
Blogger Ray said...

More than you know!

Thu Feb 24, 10:01:00 PM EST

 
Blogger Ray said...

it was only 25.00. I guess that's how much my troubles were worth to them. Doesn't really change my opinion. But it was a nice gesture.

Mon Feb 28, 05:36:00 PM EST

 

Post a Comment