.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Friday, November 20, 2009

Lights, wires, action

It's been crazy since H1N1 struck our household. We've pretty much fully recovered.

Our Eco-audit is coming up and I've been doing the last project before we do our follow up and apply to get our FED and PROV eco rebates.

The garage is where I'm going to have to do work as the weather gets colder. I was hoping to get all the framing and dusty work done so I wouldn't mess up our nice garage.

Most of the framing is done in the back basement, I just have to box in the pipes. And that's the last of the wood cutting that I will have to do.

So back to the garage. The back light was out. It wasn't the tubes. I suspected the fixture. When I was installing the new ones, it still didn't work. I opened the switch and noticed that one of the wires was broken. So I didn't need to replace the light at all. But these are newer electronic ballast that works better at temperatures down to 0 deg C.


I had to replace some wiring to the fixture since the existing one was too short because the old fixture entered at the end of the light and these new ones enter in the middle.

The lights are inexpensive. They were $23.00 and it includes the lamp tubes. They are ultra light compared to the old ones and they turn on instantly and you don't have to go and pound on it to get it to stop flickering.
I was looking for the cold weather versions that work at -20 deg C but they are $80 each. If I really needed to I can buy the ballasts and replace the ones in these. Which are $20.00 each. But these should work way better than what I had. They turn on instantly not like the old ones.

I needed to do it so that if it gets too cold or wet to work in the backyard I can relocate into the garage. But hopefully I can finish up in the next week and a half and get a new post.