.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Monday, August 31, 2009

Windows sucks

I'm not just talking Microsoft Windows.
We were heading to NJ on Saturday when out of the blue, the driver side
window on our civic malfunctioned. It wouldn't go
down any more. I could hear the motor whirring. But the window wasn't moving. This was all happening as we crossed the border.

I swear anything that George W. comes near just goes to pot. You know the old saying... Fool me once shame on you, ....

I thought the window was just stuck so I pressed down the button and when there was a bit of a gap I used my other hand to apply some force and help the window down. It went down but not much then it went back up. At the next gas station I was tinkering with the window more and then there was a clank and the sound of something metal had fallen inside the door. Great. Now I couldn't even raise the window, something was busted.

I got some fuel and then parked the car and took the door panel off. It was a good thing I had some tools. I always bring my tools if I'm bringing the bikes around just in case. So I was checking things out. I didn't really know what to expect or what not to expect.

I thought the cable was off, then I saw a part had come right off, then I saw a reel and then a broken cable. This was going to cost me. And the door panel isn't exactly the roomiest area to work in. We'd spent an hr trying to get the window back up. It was better up than down in case it was going to rain, plus I can't wind stand buffeting in my ears. It's tiresome.
I tied the cables so that the window was closed. It was up 99% of the way. There was a slight gap. Then it was tropical storm Danny. Great. Wind buffeting and lots of rain coming down. On top of the window being busted and there was a bit of a gap and rain was dripping on my forearm, there were gas stations out of fuel and the station on the turnpike I was going to gas up was closed and my fuel like was on. I was worried. We weren't going to make the next station after that which was 47 miles. I was shaking my head like this was just bad timing, everything happens in 3's. Luckily Tresa told me to just exit the next turn off and look for a station. And like the Gods were smiling our direction finally - there was one right there off the turnpike. Thank you God. The signs leading up to the turn off didn't mention any petrol station, only lodging. And thanks again for a service station with a working restroom, man I had to go pee bad.

So we were fueled up, I could floor it the rest of the way to Teen and Chris'. The sooner I got there the sooner didn't have to have wind buffeting in my ears any more. It was driving me crazy.

We got there at 9:20pm. Nearly 12 hrs after we left. Man, I don't get it. It always takes us forever. No matter what we do.
I then got some plastic from the trunk to put in the door to ensure the rain doesn't come pouring into the car.

I wasn't concerned so much about the window. I figured I could just find the part and replace it. I just needed to find out from where and how much and how soon I could get it and hope it doesn't rain long enough for me to do the job.

So I checked online and the civic forum suggested MajesticHonda parts dot com and there were these other places that were selling the power window regulators for $50 to $77 USD for OE fit ones.

"OE fit"? Pretty nifty description. It almost leads one to believe they are OEM parts from Honda. They are not. They are aftermarket. And you never know how they are going to fit let alone work. At MajesticHonda in RI, they have OEM parts. The power window regulator assy was $179.00 USD plus shipping.

I was just about to buy it and I thought I'd wait to speak to the parts guys to find out which part I needed. Because they had 3 parts that contained "power window regulator" and 2 were labelled the same and 2 that were same price. Finally he said that I needed the more expensive $179.00 part. Sure...when in doubt pick the higher price one. I had read in the forum that this place was 30% cheaper than the dealers.


Before I did anything my cousin suggested I call the Hamilton NJ Honda that just opened up. Good thing too. I could pick up the part and it cost $80.07. I couldn't believe it.
I picked it up after work today and installed it in about 1hr.
Woo Hoo....I'm GOOD. I deserve a treat!

I also checked Lakeshore Honda in Toronto. The same part they sell for... get this... $225.00 CAD. Nice. That's almost 3 times the cost down here. I don't get it that's a rotten exchange rate even if the dollar were .60 USD = 1 CAD.


Click me for more photos


I found this link to be pretty handy in my task to repair the window.
Civic Forum: how-to replace power window regulator assy



I found this link first which recommends a certain honda site to buy parts at a competitive price:
Civic Forum: Majestic Honda dot com is expensive



Blogger Rain Man said...

You are hilarious!...such an engineer tinkering away at everything...and of course true happiness when you find the solution especially at a discount...made me laugh at loud hearing your excitement over the window going up and down...simple pleasures...congrats on number 7!

Mon Aug 31, 11:56:00 PM EDT

 
Blogger Ray said...

The panel is only held on by 3 screws and there's these white plug thingys, I should get a proper tool for that. I know what it is. It's 5 bucks. Might go to a store today to get it.

It's not that hard. Even installing the window assy was easier than I thought.

Tue Sep 01, 06:58:00 AM EDT

 
Blogger Ray said...

WOO HOOO!

Tue Sep 01, 06:58:00 AM EDT

 

Post a Comment