.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Sunday, August 15, 2010

The wheels stop here

I finally got around to doing my rear brakes.
They are O-riginal to the car. And I was afraid of tackling it on my own because of the tough time my brother Mel and I had with my front rotors. The fronts were original too and had been machined once. And we replaced those plus the caliper last year or two ago. That's when I discovered how badly dealerships gouge consumers. But don't go for dirt cheap parts. Do some research. Read forums. People will tell you that places that sell "white box" parts, you should stay away from. Or at least stick with the brand names. The stuff made in china. Well. I think they are designed to be disposable.

I had purchased a new set of rear rotors and pads. Brand name stuff. My rotors weren't thin, but they were old and rusting and the pads were probably halfway worn out. I had inspected them for wear every year and since the rear brakes only take on 20% of the load. So they don't need to be replaced often. But take them apart to lubricate and you'll have no issues.
Don't maintain it. And you'll be buying a new car every so often.

Surprisingly my old rotors were made in Canada. This Subaru was assembled in Indiana. My new rotors were made in the USA. That's what the stamp says. Not in China. But you never know. What's stopping the Chinese from stamping "Made in USA"?

For the most part, the rotor came off really easily. Compared to the fronts. It took some work but I didn't need a puller to get it off. I only had one issue, that my neighbour Sam helped me with. A stubborn, rounded mounting bolt on the drivers side rear brake caliper.
He got it out, and ground the bolt down so I could put a smaller sized socket on it. Man, I have awesome neighbours.

So I had everything off the brake assembly and ready to put back on when my brother Mel arrived. So we finished the job really quick.

Might need to replace the parking/emergency brake shoes, but that never gets used, so it should be good for while. I'll have to see how thick new ones are for comparison.

Might need a new set of tires. Time for a Buffalo run.