.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Friday, May 18, 2012

Old reliable

After 6 years, we finally sold Ol' reliable.  It was a tough decision since we had been pushing and pulling Kieran, and sometimes a friend, in this thing since he was a year.  Memories of the Ride for Heart on the Gardiner, Terry Fox runs, Breast Cancer run, to and from daycare, then to and from school, to and from his summer camps.  And no matter how exciting the ride, he always manages to fall asleep. I only wish I could experience riding in a trailer.  I know it's fun, I can still remember pulling him and his buddy Xander in the trailer from school for a playdate and hearing them laughing behind me.  While I mashed it up a hill home.

But he just turned 7 and rides his bike everywhere within a certain distance.  Max is 7km one way.  And hasn't ridden in it at all this year, which is probably a good thing, because if he had, then we probably wouldn't have sold it.   I still used it up until last year because he fit although a little snug. The trailer is suppose only be up to age 5, but then there's a weight limit, but it's probably because in the US they weigh more.

Nowadays, Kieran and Yahvi and Samatva don't ride the trailer, they push each other around and either they're going to run into a car or they'll wreck the trailer and then I wouldn't be able to sell it.  In any case, it's being used by a 1 year old girl and a 4 year old boy.  In Brampton, of all places.  So I'm sure they are going to love riding in it.

I also managed to sell my first ever road bike frame.  I had it up for sale last year, but Tresa talked me out of it.  It had sentimental value, because it was a gift from Tresa after we got engaged.  My old bike was was too small and I commuted to work downtown.  And this was the bike we got to replace it.  It was so much better than my old red bike that my sister now has.  I kept the parts and recently just replaced them too with new Ultegra group.  After 11 years the shifting was going.  And the middle chain ring was worn.   The new components makes my bike feel like new again.  And the ride is so much nicer.

But it finally sold this week too.  An english bloke from Hamilton.  Which is ironic, because I got my Litespeed frame from a guy in Steeltown. The Allez was a 56cm and too big for either one of us.  I didn't know enough at the time what frame to ride, I should have listened to the fitter or they should have persuaded me a bit more.  I know they brought out the 54cm and it fit too, but now I know.  All my other bikes are 54cm. Actually we both fit a 54cm, with some slight adjustments. Which is convenient. You wouldn't think 2cm or almost 1inch would make much of a difference.  But it makes ALL the difference in the world.  I haven't ridden this frame in about 2 years, because I finally got a 54cm frame that feels just right.  I can ride it for many kms and many hours.

That trailer when I bought it was $260 + 80 for the stroller wheel, jogger and extra hitch.  It's now it's about $500 incl tax to get the same as what I had.  Most of the ones for resale, have been left in the rain, they're dirty and beat up.   Ours was well used, we logged a lot of kms on this thing and we brought it everywhere.  But I made sure we took care of it.  Here's a good lesson, take care of your stuff, maintain it and you can get a high resale value when you choose to sell it.  Be patient because someone will recognize the value.  And you could see it in the photos when I sold it.  Plus I don't think there were a lot of these MEC trailers for resale.  Good ones anyways.

Both are gone now.  Keep pedalling forward.