.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Thursday, January 04, 2018

Dynamic Iron Chalkboard

This spot where the green tape is, is where we planned to put a chalkboard.
Instead next to it in our kitchen is a green tape board.  Stuff hanging on the NEST and wedged in behind it and the switch plate.  Like we know what we wanted, where, now just get it done.

I was getting tired of looking at it, ever since I put up the pin boards in the computer room and used the chalkboard paint on the wall it was mounted too, and was really happy with how it turned out.

Since the office one worked out, I started my search to look for a piece of steel that we can use as a magnetic board.  My bro had one but it was 1/4"  not sure what gauge that is, but I'd need to lag-bolt that thing to some studs and glue it to the wall with construction adhesive.

I asked my cousin where she got her's but she couldn't remember the name of the place or how much.

Luckily this place Dynamic Iron Inc. has been in our hood for 48 yrs.  I've driven by it probably a million times.  Since it's right beside Loblaws.

I called them last week and they said they could get me what i needed.


Sure enough these guys came through.
Then Tresa asked me if they were Croatian.  I said I didn't know since all white people look the same to me.  I'm asian, it's the opposite of 'white-person syndrome' where all asians look the same.

So when went to pick up my piece of 16 gauge 24x48" sheet.  I asked.

Sure enough.   "Dobro jutro!"
Then they were my buds for life!
Tresa thinks that her mom told her she might know them.
I told Tresa if she wants her steel railing, go here. And bring them some of her mom's cookies.  We can use those as down payment.

A possible 6 degrees of separation.  The dad might have helped build the ship Tresa's mom arrived on.
Who knows.

They're all related.

So this is all you need to do this.

Chalkboard paint, gloves, piece of steel, a roller and tray (from Dollarama) and a drop sheet.

To mount it, get some 2" #8 screws and washers and a drill.

There you are good to go.
I paid the extra money to have them drill the holes.
#1 they would do a better job.  They have a drill press, the right drill bit, it's sharp, no burrs, since they took a grinder and took off all the sharp edges.
#2 saves me from doing a crappier job and drilling through something.  This is called Preventative Frustration Fee.

Yea!  no more green tape-shoved behind NEST board.
I had 6 holes drilled.
I initially had 4, but as I noticed it was bowing out a bit.  I had them drill 2 more and it's perfect and looks great.

I haven't chalk primed the board, but i figure wherever we decide to write, we should prime it first, then write.
Kieran hasn't seen this one yet.  Since he's at his cousins.

Woo hoo!