.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Thursday, January 04, 2018

TWO there it is, TWO tera bytes

When we got the PS4 it was before the PS4 SLIM and PS4 Pro.  I didn't actually know the difference between the three units.  But one diff is the storage capacity of the HD.  I think the Pro version has 1TB.   I found an article that documents the technical differences.  What is the difference between PS4-SLIM-PRO

The PRO also has 1 more USB port, 4K support and an upgraded CPU and 1GB more RAM.  That's it.  for $100USD more.

We don't have a 4K tv, and what we have now looks pretty good!  Plus my eyes are going south anyways, so no big deal for me.
There's lots of YouTube vids on how to upgrade the storage on the
PS4.  I didn't actually realize it's user upgradeable.

I take that as, I'm allowed to do this.



We had maxed out the PS4's stock 500GB drive, we were forced to delete game data just to play Star Wars Battlefront II.  So just before new years I ordered a 2TB Seagate Firecuda hybrid SSD drive from Amazon. The YouTube vids will have a link but this model is ST2000LX001 the one I got.  It was $107.00 CAD.  It's a 2.5" model.  Same size as what will be in those WD passport or laptops.


It's lighter and faster and slightly thinner than the OEM Samsung drive that came with the PS4.

Surprisingly the only tool you only need is a phillips screw driver for this job.  There are only 5 screws to remove and replace.

It's quite easy to access the HD that on the left side of the PS4.  The cover is removable and requires no tools.  Might be a bit sticky but ours was fine.

But before you do this, you need at least a 500GB external USB drive that you can back up your data from the OEM HD.  There are menus on the PS4 under Settings -> System to do that.
The PS4 took 4+hours to back up, and it needs to be FAT32 otherwise it won't recognize the drive.


You also need to download this PS4UPDATE.PUP file from PlayStation website after you install the new drive.  That will install the PS4 O/S.  Then you can restore from your back up.

This O/S install takes 10mins.
But the restore takes 3+ hours.
So don't be in a hurry.

But in the end all was good.
I've had the drive for only a day, but everything works.  I didn't have to start any of my games from the beginning.
It saved my Uncharted game play data.
And all of our trophies.
And network details.
2TB should last us a while.