.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Friday, November 05, 2004

Sweet 16

So we're at 16 weeks and 5 days to be exact, as of today.
It was a cold and rainy day. No this wasn't a Pizzaville Pizza commercial. We were on our way to see our OB Gynie doctor.

It was sort of misting when I left the office. Which turned into larger drops once I got to TGH. Tresa had called me earlier to remind me of our appointment at 3pm. I planned to leave at 2:30pm to give myself enough time to get there. I ended up leaving at about 2:48pm. I was going to be a few minutes late. When I got to TGH just before college on Elizabeth St, I noticed Tresa walking just ahead of me. Right on schedule...late as usual. I had to make a pitstop at my sister's work in order to drop off Ryan's b-day present. Which I found out was too small. Kids grow too fast man. So I'm off to dig something else out of my closet that I don't use anymore. HEH. :-) DOH...I gave my secret away. Ah it doesn't matter none of the kids read this blog anyways.

We were prepared to be waiting at the doctor's office for at least 45 minutes. So I was prepared. I had my book, and water and an apple. Which by the way I've managed to work down to 2-1/2 bags. I've slowed down a bit from the 5 apples a day to about 2 apples a day. But figure I should get it back up to about 3 apples a day to finish it off before they go bad. You know when you pick your own apples, they last a lot longer than the ones you buy in the supermarket.

When I finally got to the doctor's office I noticed that there was one lady in the waiting room, and no Tresa. I asked if she'd already gone in. They informed me that she'd just gone to check her sugar level. So I wasn't late. We waited about 5 mins before we went in.

We checked the baby's heartbeat and checked the mama's blood pressure. Everything looks really good. We asked our questions. Dr. Herer was extremely positive about the test results and everything, and as usual - was her funny and dry self.
She was asking me questions and looking at Tresa. Like "how far along are you, Ray?", which at first I thought I heard "how are you, Ray". I mumbled "fine", while I sat there, sucking on my lollipop which were sugar free and Dr. Herer keeps them in the front waiting room. I guess she didn't hear me because the resident med-student was tearing up the tissue paper on the examination bed with the stirrups and oven mitts, so all you hear was paper crunching. Then I heard Dr. Herer repeat it again - "how far along are you, Ray". Thinking. My wife's name is Tresa. So I kept on working the sucker and kept quiet. Then Tresa spoke up and said 16 weeks. Dr. Herer said she was asking me to see if I was paying attention.

We like her a lot. When we had to go do our FTS, we had Dr. Livingston at Mt. Sinai who was also great and had a funny disposition. I think too many people, in general, have no sense of humour. Make work fun people. You're there all day, might as well have a good time.

Here's the final Jeopardy question for today:
Q: They rub your back and help you breath while you are giving birth.



A: What is a Doula?
It's the same as a midwife.

We were thinking about getting a midwife, but they're only good if you have a natural birth at home. Which, for us, would be out of the question. Because I don't know what's going on as it is. So having the services of an entire hospital right there, is important to me. In case I pass out or something, knock on wood.