.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Friday, April 15, 2005

Ready, get set...

Now for the interesting part, Wednesday afternoon Tresa's mucous plug came out. Wasn't sure what that meant at first, actually I didn't know that that's what happened. Let me start from the beginning. I was working from home today and Tresa had gone out just after lunch to do some errands. She came back saying "Ray we have an appt today!" Which we thought was tomorrow. It was her last exam. I rushed to get ready, because 'Working From Home' for me means the bare minimum in hygiene. I didn't expect to have to go out in public. So as I was showering, Tresa saw blood on her liner. Sorry to get graphic! But this is reality!

We got to the OB-GYN at about 4:30pm. While we were waiting for her in the examining room we noticed a 'tool' in a small tub of soapy water. Tresa said that that thing was probably for her exam. I wished I had my camera! Maybe I can find it on the internet.

I think this was it! I'm not sure, there were a lot of bubbles and I didn't want to get too close in case it had been recently used and feared getting someone else's cooties.

She did her internal exam on Tresa, and guess what, she was already 3cm dialated. She was 1/3 of the way to 10cm. The doctor asked if she wanted to get her going. I wasn't sure what that meant, so I asked. Then she went and I guess ruptured her membrane. Now it was a matter of time. The OB-GYN said that she could see Tresa's belly contracting right then and there. Since Tresa's never known what contractions were like, she didn't know. But I think they were very light. Or she just had a high tolerance for pain. And she said that she was getting all crampy when she was down in the bloor west village.

So now it's a race against the clock to get stuff done before the baby arrives. I needed to get the linen closet prepped. I needed to clean my car. So that's what I was doing at 9:30pm at night in the back of the house. Vacuuming and cleaning the inside of my car as we were talking to my brother Pat, and Chris (in NJ) and letting him know what stage we were at. It seemed only fitting that we let Chris know. Since we did a similar sort of thing when we first got pregnant and we were visiting NY. Teen had called earlier asking what was going on. It was going to be any day now, so that's all we said. Just no details as to the exact stage. Otherwise if we did. WATCH OUT! SPEED DIAL!

It was kind of a rough night. I didn't sleep until after 1:00 AM. Plus I slept lightly, waking up every few hours. We had our bags packed and we put a garbage bag on the bed, just in case the dam burst. Tresa was worried at one point that her water might have broken, but I think it was just sweat from tossing and turning so much. I can still hear the bed springs squeaking now as I'm writing this.

So right now, we have no crib and I debated about going to Oshawa to pick it up today, but she said that I can just go get the bassonette from Lou and Lucy. That would be okay for the baby to sleep in. So I'm going to give Lou a call if he can bring it over or if I can pick it up. I'm just not sure if I should go now or wait till after the baby arrives. I don't want to be stuck in Mississauga traffic. When the time comes.

I've tried timing the contractions, but Tresa can't tell if they are or not. So I time it when she goes "OWUP! AAAAUUUUGGGGH." So the 'OWUP!' is when it starts and the 'AAAUUUUGGGH' is how long it lasts. At first they were less than 10 mins apart, then it went away, a little random. So she's in 'Active Stage' right now. Early labour. We could be here for another 2-3 days. So I may have time to still get stuff done. This waiting game is tiring. Thursday night I was really tired, but still unable to fall asleep until 2:00AM. I know it was after midnight when I finally went to bed.