.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Sunday, October 23, 2005

Returns on Investment

I just got my camera back on Saturday. After 5 months in the shop I got my Canon A510 back from getting repaired for a second time. But this time I came out of the store with a brand new canon A610 instead.I got the A510 strictly for when Tresa and I go travelling. I didn't want to lug around the G5.
Here's the story. I got the A510 April 8, 2005. It was working fine until I took it with me to Europe to Antonio's wedding. On the wedding day I got an E18 error code. I was pissed! On the day that I really needed it, it sent me an E18 error code. Now I know what that code means - you're S.O.L. buddy. So I returned the camera to get it repaired. But I did manage to borrow Larry's camera and used my SD card to take pics. So that was a quick thinking workaround that I thought of. So I wasn't totally out of luck.

I took it in to get repaired the day after I landed. That was June 8, 2005. I then called week after week and go the same answer week after week - "it should be another week." I did not get my camera back initially until the beginning of Sept just before we visited Trish. And it was fine until I played the movies back and there was no sound. It then started to take a really long time in between shots. Around 10 seconds of delay. Apparently a buffer problem. So back into the shop it went. I then went into the calling week after week mode again and I finally got it back after a month and a half.

But in that time I was able to speak to the owner of the camera shop that I bought it at and with his suggestion I got an opportunity to talk to the Canon sales rep. I spoke to him on Tuesday and told him I the story with the A510 and said that I think I got a lemon. He then said he would call the store owner about it. So when I didn't hear from him later that day and the next day I thought I was just getting the brush off. But when I heard from him on Friday I was caught off guard. I thought I'd be getting the E18 error code from him too. But he told me I'd be getting a brand new A510. That's all I wanted to hear. But having the chance to use the camera I realized that I wanted something better. I was happy with the pictures with the A510 and it's 3.2 MP images. But I just didn't want to see that camera anymore since I'd had so many problems. So I upgraded the camera to the new A610. So I was a happy camper. :-D
The ironic thing was that I just shipped back a faulty Firewire card and because they were shipping me a new one, the shipping was free so I was able to buy another item and get the shipping for free. So this was a good week for returning purchases.

I've only had the camera for a day but I'm already really pleased with it. Steve the store owner highly recommended this one and so did the Canon sales rep Jim. But I'd already made the decision before they made their remarks, just look at this sample shot I took in poor lighting.
It's a 5.0 MP camera (but more megapixels doesn't always translate into better pics, so remember that Hong) and the processor is the DIGIC II and it's way faster than the A510 and it had the flip out display which I found really handy on my G5. It really captures the moment doesn't it? The colour of the lollipop on their faces, around the lips. It even captured the crazed look as the sugar hit the bloodstream.
The only drawback I find is that it's not as portable any more. But there's pros and cons with everything. If I'd gotten one of the smaller SD series, I wouldn't have the flip out screen.
What do you mean I have to order take out?

So what's the moral of the story? It does pay to complain, but it pays to complain in a nice way. If you complain in a not so nice manner, they can choose to ignore you. The beauty of call display. And it's good to shop at the little privately owned shops versus the big box stores. But talk to the owner, he'll go out of his way for you. The grunt behind the counter can't do squat. At the big box stores I'd have to buy their extra insurance (you know the ones they sell you for your own piece of mind) in order to get a brand new camera, but forget about getting an upgrade.