.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Designer Sukaboy

I had received an email invite to a Kiosk furniture line launch party. I didn't know what to expect. I just thought we'd be looking at new furniture pieces.

I only wished I had brought my camera. Cuz when we walked in all we saw were all these done up people dressed to the nines. I saw done up hair, high heels, guys wearing scarves inside the 3-level store. The door was open, but it wasn't chilly.

And the Designer Guys were there. Not the dynamic duo, but the new trio. I think TV makes you look shorter. Every time I see celebs I think of our cousin-in-law Chris R. He knows how to handle a snub from a hollywood celebrity. He's a PRO-fessional, he got one from Helen Hunt, basically he held out his hand to introduce himself at a conference and she looked at his hand and then looked away. NICE! Which drives me crazy, how people worship these folks. Why? And they get tons of stuff free! They can afford to buy the 3rd world manufacturing sweatshop that makes the stuff with their pocket change.

Good thing I didn't go slogging and wear my fleece Gap pants, inside out Gap shirt and my dirty trainers. It was like a house party. What the heck? It's a furniture store? And right beside it was a halfway house. NICE!
Tresa noticed it as we walked by. I saw it too, but there were ogres standing in the doorway so I just kept looking straight ahead. This must be where the squeegee kids go on rainy days. And it was raining.
I hope that they get more traffic than just the penniless kind, or they may find street people trying out their furniture, like the beds!

We couldn't leave Kieran behind, so we brought him with us. He's just another accessory on Tresa. Like her handbags. But more like a teddy bear stuffed with sand or water. Sometimes the stuffing comes out like sandy water or clay. But not this time, phew.

It was a little loud in there at first. We didn't plan on staying that long. It was only supposed to be on from 6-9pm and we got there at 8.
Didn't want his ears to hurt.

And lookie-lookie we even got a loot bag from Holt. I saw them when we first walked in. I'm sure Tresa did too. But I didn't want to snag it right away and look like I came from the house next door. So I did the least cheapskate-ish thing, I asked one of the Kiosk staff to get us one as we were leaving.

This sure was a schmoozing party. No one was checking out the furniture except for us. They were checking out each other.
They had servers serving wine and beer and trays of food. Of course none of them were serving the "family unit" that just walked in. So I served myself.

There were these rice paper wrapped springrolls that had shrimp in it with a hoisin sauce dip. Similar to the ones I make. The springrolls were ok. But the hoisin sauce dip I didn't like. It had a funny aftertaste. But I had a few to make sure. Plus I was kind of hungry. I still prefer the ones I make.

As we walked around the rooms on the floors I could feel the eyes focused on us as we walked through the entrance with Kieran. We were the only people with kids.
It was a little weird at first.
But oh well. They can't have him. His ours.

It was Speed dating in a furniture store. Kieran was looking around taking it all in. He was looking at a couple (hetero) on a couch and seeing what they were doing. I was trying to censor it. G rating only please.

And I think we were the only ones not trying so hard to impress.
We were just looking for a nice dining table and a light fixture.