.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Rubberized

At 192,970 kms. My old Kumho ECTSA Supra (original set were Bridgestone Potenza RE92) were needing to be replaced. Although the tread was probably about 1/2 way worn. The sidewall was cracking and the road noise was very loud.

These are 2 signs that the rubber in tire has dried out significantly and will need to be replaced soon. I got set of Hankook Ventus HRII/HR405 tires. I dunno why there's two model numbers.

I checked on TireRack.com for reviews and wanted something reasonable and fitting for my aging Subaru. I don't drive like an Asian with spikey blonde hair, but I do like a little spirited driving style.

They're H rated. Meaning, they're not meant for 200km/hr speeds. But fast enough for when I've got to get to that triathlon race out in the boonies. And I'm running behind schedule.

My Kumhos were W rated. Which is higher than the H and cost a bit more, up front and when you get those yellow tickets from the guy with the flashing lights.

I haven't gotten a speeding ticket in years. I just don't drive that way any more. It's not worth it.

So here's the new caliper that I installed on Monday. Beats the rusty look of the old ones.

So back to the tires. I sourced out a couple of places in Buffalo and compared the prices to here in Toronto. There was some manufacturers promotion going on and the price was further discounted about $100.00 more for the Hankooks. I got the set of 4 here for $570.00 tax included, installed and balanced (by an Asian in 30 mins or the won tons are free) at no extra cost.

Man, it's so quiet now. What difference.
And the turnaround was so fast at Tires23 that I was even able to get Kieran to Fabian's for a hair cut. Man he needed it. He was looking like an island boy.

You definitely will pay more for the highly advertised brands. Hey, someone has to pay for the Michelin Man's dinner. Why not the folks who'll only vote Liberal because that's who they always voted for in the past, no matter what the platform and will complain about the guy in office later. And these brand names may not be any better. But they come with an icon. Your choice.




I choose value, and keep a bit more money in my wallet. The Michelin Man needs to go on a diet anyways.