.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Monday, June 18, 2012

1/16th Violin

Kieran had his 1st violin recital on Father's day. It was at the Church/Condo at Bathurst and College. And it was also Taste of Little Italy.
This is Dorothy his teacher, she plays for the Toronto Symphony.  And her daughters also are talented musicians and help with camps and teaching.  They are super nice.  The husband however is the decorated one with Grammy's and other music awards.
I'd always driven by this church on those days when Tresa does her cardio early in the mornings waking up late and in a high heart rate state.  Making me sweat as well with my eyes still shut with goop, to bring her to work on time.
There's a condo that's part of this building.
It's one of the first retro condo building in Toronto, I think, don't take my word as fact.  I'm just pulling stuff out of the air from what I've heard or something.
There was a whole program for the kids and which order they go in. The whole group started first, then one by one the kids did their solo.  I asked Kieran if he was nervous, he said he wasn't.  He didn't look nervous, he was mostly staring out into space.  I think he was hungry and the sugar gastank was on fumes.
Anyways he did fine.  A few mistakes but you should have heard the little girl before him.
Dorothy said that Kieran is doing really well.  For a kid that doesn't always practice or practices half-heartedly at times, I was surprised.  But he likes it.  He doesn't want us to take it away.  I think it's something he's embraced as his skill.  Kind of like baking.

I wasn't sure what to expect.  My expectations were actually non-existent. In the end I was suprisingly impressed, with all the students.  From the little ones like Kieran just starting out, to the teens that have been with Dorothy since they were little.  The performances go longer and more complex as the recital went.  And the way the senior students could make their violin sing was amazing.  Something to look forward to.

Max was also there hobbling up the stairs with his broken ankle, so were his mom, Marika and his sister Anna. Who's ball hockey birthday was a blast (for me).  I hadn't played ball hockey in probably 10 years.  My feet and back were killing me.
And Max's girlfriend.  Who I didn't get a picture of...dang it.
Kieran wouldn't sit for a photo op.

I didn't realize that this group was mostly girls.  The ratio is like 4 to 1.  Probably a good thing for Kieran since if there was another boy his age in his group.  There'd be broken bows and time outs.

Violin recital photos