.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Saturday, January 20, 2018

Welcome Home Asian Nations

 We got a new grocery store chain near us.  And it's Nations.  I was thinking it was going to stink inside like all the other asian grocery stores.

But to my surprise it was really nice inside.
They have almost like a food court area where you can get dim sum, sushi, there's a buffet, and then there's a part for the white folks, called "Western Kitchen".  Here you can get pizza.

Actually this is where I got something to eat, since Kieran was with me and i checked out the buffet food with all these asians around, i was kind of unsure who sneezed or coughed on what.  You know what i mean?
So I steered clear of it and went for the Veggie pizza slice and a pepperoni for Kieran.  It was pretty good.  The veggie was nothing like Pizza Pizza's veggies on cardboard.  It had a balsamic dressing with some feta cheese.  it was good.  I'd get that again for sure.

I had also checked out the rest of the store.  It didn't smell.  It did have that distinct asian smell, but they also had durian in the store too.  It just reminded me of asia.  I liked it as I strolled around looking for veggies that I can't get at Loblaws or NoFrills.  And I found them.  Along with a whole whack of other stuff that just reminded me of my roots.  Not slavery roots, but my old home where i was born.

To be honest I don't remember any food from when I was little in the Philippines.  I only remember playing outside.  Dirt roads.  I recently saw on google maps our old home.  And I guess the church we used to go to.

The foods I remember are from our trips to Thailand, Cambodia, HK and Singapore.   I love the food in Singapore and can't wait to go back there.  It's amazing.

I don't know what it is about the marketing folks in the Philippines, but they over use the word "BEST".  People will figure out the truth.  Just make it good.  Drop the word "best".  It's unnecessary.  But it's humorous.  I'm sure there's a "Best Beef Balls" or "Best Chicken Balls" package out there.  I'll have to find it and blog it.

Just do what the other asian countries do and put a smiling kung fu guy on your noodle package.