.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Friday, January 06, 2012

Ahead of his time

We got this Sodastream after our NJ visit in August.  We use it every day.  We first tried it at my cousin's place.  We don't drink pop.  But we buy Perrier and that other brand that starts with an S.  That escapes me right now.

Oh ya, it's San Pellegrino.  For a case it's like 16.99 or something.  On sale it's 11.99.  We usually mix it with juice or just by itself.
We don't miss the pop at all.  And I think my teeth and my belly are better for it.

There are many variants of this model, but they all do the same thing.
And they sell it in various stores.  This one just happened to come from Macy's.  We wanted the red, but they were all sold out.

But this one came with a CO2 canister and two 1L bottles and some flavour syrup bottles.  In case you wanted to make an orange, lemon or raspberry flavoured sparkling water.  I tried them, it's ok.  They kinda gave me a headache.
We were curious to know how many bottles a canister will do.  The CO2 canisters are 14.99 each, after you return the empty one.

In any case, 1 CO2 canister will do 50 or so bottles.
That's pretty good.  Compared to 12.00 for a case of 12 Perrier or San Pellegrino.

And I did a taste test, to see if we could tell the difference.
And we couldn't.
Does anyone remember Soda-mistic?  Well that Goodwill clothing dude on the far left there sold it in high school.  Well, he sold only 1.
To his girlfriend's (at the time) parents.

I'm not sure if that company is around anymore and this one sales guy didn't help it's bottom line, but it's ironic how Derrick, the guy we've always known to still have clothes from high school, was 25 years ahead of his time.