.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Saturday, October 16, 2004

Say cheese!


Ultrasound @ 13 weeks 5 days

We had our first glimpse of our baby today. It was 4-1/2 hours of waiting rooms and sitting beside big smelly oafs. And I'm not talking about the pregnant mothers, I'm talking about their chiminey smoking husbands or boyfriends or whatever. They stink and reek of cigarette smoke. Gross.

Anyways, so far so good. 1 head, two hands and arms and 2 legs and feet.

Can't tell the sex yet, but that won't be until week 18-20.

Who wants to know the sex? I do, I do!

Tresa doesn't but I can always keep a secret.

Our ultrasound appointment was at 11:45 am. We were there for an hour before we went in. Actually Tresa went in first, then 15 mins later they called me. I thought they'd ask for a Mr. Kranjec. But they called my first name instead. Phew. Thought I'd miss this one. Then after we got the pic, which cost 10.00 bucks. So for every person that clicks and reads this blog, owes me a loonie. Just kidding, we got the photo on this heat activated paper that will eventually turn black in a few months for FREE. Woo hoo! They didn't have change for a 20.00. Time to buy a lottery ticket.

Then we waited for the Radiologist to do his/her report. And afterwards get the blood test. So there was more waiting. We waited another hour and we had another appointment to rush to in the pouring rain, so we scrapped the blood test until later.

We then headed to Mt. Sinai to see the counsellor. We were starving and I asked Tresa if she wanted a sandwich before we walked over. In the ground floor of the building across from Women's College Hospital there was a sandwich place. I frantically looked for a sandwich that wouldn't repulse Tresa. I asked for a BLT eventhough it wasn't on the menu. You never know unless you ask. Well, it wasn't on the menu, so they couldn't make it. Okay. So I asked for an egg-salad sandwich. With 5 people behind the counter you'd think they'd be quick about it. Well you're WRONG. Too slow. They pulled out the egg slicer cuz they had to make the egg salad. We said. No time. Okay sorry, we gotta go.

So then we passed by Ninie's work, but she wasn't there. But we only went by to drop off the apple picking tickets to Laura.

So we got to 700 University. How come you have to go down the steps then up the steps to get to the front entrance? Who the heck designed this frontage? This is what happens when you don't eat lunch. Everything SUCKS!

Got to the third floor and noticed the vending machine. We got registered for our hospital cards for Mt. Sinai. Then I asked. Is there time for me to get FOOD? They said I could get food for Tresa down in the concourse. So I rush to the elevator. I see LC and SC. Usually it's just C for concourse. Damit. I am getting dizzy and hit the SC. I get out and saw a lady with soup. Good I thought I must be in the right area. I see Earl's Food Court. Okay. Food. I do a quick scan of the area before I select a counter to get food. Hot sandwiches? No Tresa's been turning her nose up to meat. Gives her the gag reflex.

I see a sandwich counter. What to get. Egg salad again? I asked what's this? It was chicken. She said it was good. I'll put it on this bread, it's good too. Men like this bread, nice and thick. She said. I said it's for my wife. She then asked what kind of bread. I said that one is good. Thick and soft is good I thought. She asked what else I wanted. Tomatoes? No they turned Tresa's stomach. I told her my wife was pregnant and tomatoes were not agreeing with her. You know we have or had a whole garden full of tomatoes and lettuce and it turns her stomach upside down. YUK to her. Oh well. At least there were no string beans in our garden. It took me hours to take all the vines off the wire fence. And this is after running 30+ km. My legs were sore and I was tired. No beans this year. NO BEANS!

So I got lettuce and cucumbers.
Then I got tuna with lettuce and tomatoes and pickles. I was hungry and if I eat fish I don't have to share, since Tresa hates fish. Heh. I got the pickles on the side. Wasn't sure. Well she took one bite of the pickles and she didn't like it. Good. More for me.

We did the counselling. We met the OB and everything looked good. NT=2.1 very good. At first Tresa said NT is 2.1! I didn't know what that meant and wasn't sure how to react. So everything looks normal and positive. This OB said Tresa was right on track, her size was good. Woo hoo!

Then we went for the blood sample for genetic screening. I had to give one because I have Beta Thalassemia. I learned I was resistant to Malaria. Although I get tired and feel lethargic, on the bright side I don't have to worry so much about malaria. Which doesn't matter so much here in Canada.

Well we got there at 2:00pm and left at 4:30pm. Most of it waiting. I wanted to sleep.

We went to Chinatown to eat again, before we head to class. Wow, MSG. We went to Pho Hung, I got the pho and she got #19 with rice. Then we were stuffed. We walked over to GBC and it was good thing, helped digest the food. But I was tired. I needed to sleep.

Everything seems positive, which helped to reduce some of our anxiety. Or maybe it was just because we were hungry.