.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Word to the elders

Well we finally told Tresa's parents. It wasn't the response we were expecting. It will be Tresa's dad's birthday tomorrow and so we lumped in our surprise in his birthday card.

Here's how we did it. I bought a card for her dad's birthday. And Tresa as always, last minute, just before thanksgiving lunch was being served. Asked me what to write. I said, what day is it? She said, Sunday. I said it's his birthday. So write happy birthday. Then I thought...okay write this:

Happy birthday.


PS. we have another surprise for you but it won't be ready for another 6 months.

During our meal, I kept asking Tresa, when are you gonna do it? Just Do It! No Fear! This is the point of no return. No refunds or exchanges. Final sale.

So after lunch, in the middle of dessert. She went and got the card and made sure everyone was sitting. Her dad read it. And kept reading. I thought, how much did Tresa write after I left the room? It was a small card. Then he looked at Tresa and asked, Is it TRUE?

Then the rains came down. He handed the card to Mrs. Kranjec and then the dams burst. And he gave both of us a big headlock bear hug. Guess they were very happy to have another grandchild along the way. I just expected them to be happy. But this was icing on top of the cake and some tissue.

Tresa and I were talking and well they're retired, and it'll be good for them to have another small one while they're still pretty mobile. And I agreed. April will be here in no time.